Mad Hungry

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Roasted Chicken and Bushes Baked Beans

Now that I'm at the house in Maine, opportunities for cooking are slight or next to none.  However, after winterizing the house, I was beat and starving!  The only thing I had to eat all day was a blueberry muffin before church.  And trust me, after blowing leaves, crawling under the house to help fix the air conditioning unit, packing the truck with ten tons worth of fitness equipment and doing laundry, a muffin just wasn't cutting it. 

Since "winterizing the house" means shutting off the water, turning off the electricity and removing all perishables, everything in the fridge and in the cabinets had to go.  So, I made the only thing that was available in the house for me to make.  Chicken and Bushes baked beans.  A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!  And roast I did!  Because I was so hungry by this point, I boiled the chicken for about fifteen minutes to get a jump start on roasting.  From past experiences, I have encountered some not-so-fully-cooked chicken when roasting because the outside has a tendency to be done before the inside.  Not this time. Too hungry to play around.  Once the chicken was done boiling, I popped it in the oven on broil for twenty minutes.  I figured, while I was cutting up onions to mix in the beans, (which had to be caramelized first otherwise Arron won't eat any) it couldn't hurt to get the chicken really tender.  I love that meat-falling-off-the-bone-oh-so-tender-and-crispy-skin-roasted chicken.

Same time as the beans are getting hot, I move the chicken from the oven to under the broiler to ensure skin crispiness.  Ten minutes later the chicken wingettes are done, the beans are hot and steamy, and my plate (and stomach) is ready to receive. 

This is not my typical Sunday night dinner, but hey, it served it's purpose...fulfilling my stomach, reducing the shakes and cutting off the migraine at the past.

Since we are hitting the road bright and early tomorrow morning, preparing any meals, other than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or cheese wiz on wheat thins, I will not have much to convey.  However, when things get back to normal, I'll be cooking and sharing all that Lucinda has to offer.  Until then, bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment