Mad Hungry

Friday, November 12, 2010

Broiled Salmon Teriyaki, Ginger Garlic Glazed Green Beans, and White Rice

Tonight I made salmon in a very different way.  Hey wait!  What am I saying?  Tonight I made salmon for the first time ever.  Period.  Normally my grandmother makes all the dinners, but since I've been trying my hand at this cooking thing, I had to see what making salmon was all about.  Piece of cake!  I whisked all the ingredients together, placed the salmon skin side up in the marinade for ten minutes and waited.  I'd like to say that while I was waiting for the salmon to soak up the juice I was making the rice and green beans, but not so.  Instead, I was busy yelling at my son for not washing his dishes.  Sigh!  Actually, I made the rice and beans much earlier this afternoon before I went out to meet a girlfriend.  Good thing.  Yelling at my son took the wind out of my sails and I only had enough energy left for making the salmon.   I even had to take a nap before composing this blog.

Let's take it from the top.  First, I started with making just plain white rice.  Lucinda's recipe gave directions for such, but also included a way to prepare a variation of this dish.  So, why not!  While the rice was boiling, I toasted some sesame seeds, chopped a scallion and some cilantro.  Tossed it all in and presto!!  Basic white rice with a Asian spin.

Second, I made the ginger garlic glazed green beans.  This was different again, but easy as well.  I love when it only takes fifteen minutes from start to finish to prepare a recipe.  These green beans were sautéed and stir-fried in oil, ginger, and garlic.  The aroma alone made me feel like I was sitting in a Japanese restaurant.  Four minutes later, under partially covered pan, I added the soy sauce and sesame oil.  Wow, what a kick.  It formed a glazy sauce that helped each piece of garlic and ginger stick to each green bean.  Nice!

Okay, now back to the salmon.  What can I say?  It was delicious and the rice and green beans was a great accompaniment.  The marinade was certainly something I would have never thought of.  Often times my grandmother would use mayo, but this soy sauce, honey, and lemon juice combo, along with the garlic and ginger, completed this Asian twist.  Under the broiler, the salmon doesn't has a chance to over-cook, but be very careful because if you step away for too long, you run the risk of burning it completely.  For this recipe, the key is to soak the salmon in the marinade for as long as you can prior to broiling and to base the salmon while cooking.  Fifteen minutes is all you need.

If you'd like to give your meal an Asian spin, click (or copy and paste) the link below.
http://blog.madhungry.com/2010/11/recipes-from-todays-show-asian-inspired-dishes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment