Mad Hungry

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lighter Beef Chili and Jasmine Rice

Tonight is our second day home from a long road trip and I'm exhausted and sick.  When we arrived yesterday my grandmother took out ground beef for dinner, but I was in no mood to cook, stand in front of a stove or chop anything.  Today is no different, but I had to make something with the ground beef before it went bad.  Since I hadn't seen a "Mad Hungry" episode in five days, I was thinking of what could be the easiest, fastest, don't feel like cooking meal to prepare, so I decided on chili.  Had I been more alert in preparing for this meal,  I would have known that the recipe was from Marthastewart.com and not one from Mad Hungry.  Oh well, the cooking must continue.  I chopped one onion, six gloves of garlic and eye-balled the rest of the ingredients of tomato paste, chili and unsweetened cocoa powder.  Once that was all mixed together in the frying pan, I added the ground beef for a five minute mix.  After that, I added the tomatoes and pinto beans.  I stirred it around for a few until it came to a boil, then let it simmer.  While the chili was at a simmer state, I got started on the rice.  That too was simple.  Fifteen minutes later, I plated my rice and chili, but could barely eat more than two spoonfuls.  It wasn't because it didn't taste good.  On the contrary.  From what I could taste, it was surprisingly chili-like.  LOL.  Too bad I'm too tired and sick to enjoy it.  According to my husband who could eat an entire bowl, it was "yummy."  Not that it means much...he could eat anything.

Today's cooking wasn't as much fun.  I'm hoping for a better tomorrow.  Nevertheless, there's always stick-to-your-bones-warm-my-insides-all-I-can-muster-up-in-case-I'm-too-sick-to-cook-tomorrow-chili.

For this recipe to beat a cold or to fight the cold weather, click (or copy and paste) this link below.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/lighter-beef-chili

No comments:

Post a Comment