Mad Hungry

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Three "C"s - Curry Chicken, Red Chard and Mango Chutney

Wow.  This was a crazy combination to prepare, but I think I pulled it off.  However, Top Chef will not be calling.

So, I started with the Curry Chicken, but I did things a little different this time around.  Since I had a little mix-up preparing last night's dinner due to hunger and lack of direction (totally on my part), I read the instructions very carefully, even twice this time, then got all my ingredients together.  Once I measured out what was necessary for the meal, I proceed to brown my chicken.  That, if you ask me, was the best part about the meal.  The aroma from the meat searing is divine.  I could have stopped right there and been satisfied.  Nevertheless, mush!  I had a meal to make.  Once the chicken was all golden brown, I retired them to a plate to await the concoction of onions, garlic and curry powder.  Wow!  Talk about senses...woke my nose right up.  After that was blended nicely, I added the tomatoes, plus the salt and pepper.  Since my local supermarket didn't have a clue as to what a Scotch bonnet pepper was (nor do I for that matter), regular ground pepper was just gonna have to do.  Seeing how this recipe did call for "chicken", I returned my earlier browned skinned chicken legs to the pan to soak up all the sauce I just made.  I let that simmer for 45 minutes until the meat is tender and get on with my Red Chard recipe.

Just so you know, Red Chard is a foreign object to me.  I'm looking like a deer caught in the head lights walking down the produce section wondering...what the hell is a chard and why is it red?  Once I finally found it, I was a bit hesitant to purchase for fear of selecting the wrong thing.  I know Lucinda's recipe is actually laid out for Callaloo, but she did say it was okay to substitute it for Swiss Chard or Mustard Greens.  Swiss Chard, Red Chard...it's all the same thing (so the very inexperienced supermarket associate swears to me).  Therefore, with the green light from Lucinda (and a "I'm positive" from the associate), I brought a bushel.

Just like with the ingredients for the Curry Chicken, I laid out everything I needed for the Chard.  This to was relatively simple.  Threw some oil and butter into my pan, tossed in the onions and scallions and let them do their thing.  I added my Chard, salt, pepper, water and covered.  Eight minutes later, done!  It was just that simple.

Now, here comes the party where I throw caution to the wind and combine all the ingredients necessary for the Mango Chutney.  What the hell?  Yup, that's what I'm really thinking as I toss mangos, ginger, onion, garlic, red pepper, raisins, sugar, salt, vinegar and water into my sauce pan.  I can't believe that what I'm about to make is actually edible.  Needless to say, I was amazed by the finish product, but more over, that I, yes me, the chick that just started cooking eight days ago, actually made it!  I was proud of myself for being able to venture outside my comfort zone of preparing just the dishes I knew how to pronounce.   Honestly, I never heard of Chutney or Chard before this morning.  Who knew!

Tonight's meal was very good.  The chicken was tasty, the chard was tender, and the chutney was blazing.  Chutney, for this chump, is a no-go.   However pleasing to the eye, it was too spicy for the tongue.  For those that enjoy spicy foods, this Chutneys' for you!

When everything was said and done, I was too hungry to wait any longer for the daiquiri, so tonight I choose my other favorite red wine; Casa Rossa Piedmont by Vino dei Fratelli.  Accompany your dish with this wine suggestion.  For $10 a bottle, it's worth a try.

If you want to wow your friends and possibly even yourself, click the link below for this recipe.
http://blog.madhungry.com/2010/10/recipes-from-today’s-show-jamaican-dinner.html

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment