Mad Hungry

Sunday, October 17, 2010

German Apple Cake

I'm in heaven.  Tonight I made this German Apple Cake recipe and it was out of this world.  Normally, I'm an out-of-the-box cake maker, but never again.  After licking the bowl and my fingers, I was hooked.  Of course, my son agreed while he was licking the mixing paddle.  From this point forward, I'll be making all my cake batter from scratch.    Thank you Lucinda.

With every meal prepared, I learn new and different ways to compliment food...add a little bit of this and a little bit of that and BAM!  Fork full of fabulousness.  However, I didn't know that it could be done with sugar, cinnamon and lemon.  Once I cut the apples, tossed them in the lemon, then added the sugar and cinnamon, I was astounded by the texture, the smell, and the taste.  I'm in awe!  As I arranged the apple slices coated in this rich cinnamon-sugar mixture, I felt like a pastry chef!

The 45 minutes or so it took for the cake to bake, the aroma floating through the air reminded me of "granny's kitchen."  Not my granny of course, but someone's.  It took me back to the days when life was simple.  When you used to sit on your front porch until 2am hanging out with friends and family.  When life was more about living your dreams and less about reality tv.   When face to face was more important than Facebook.   Oh, the good ole days!

When my walk down memory lane was over, I put my cake to the plate, and sweet heavens.  I could close my eye and swear I was in a five star restaurant.  It was so good.  I ate a third of the cake in one sitting.  My grandmother had to stop herself from consuming more than a corner.  And my son gave me two thumbs up as he stole the middle piece with the most apple coverage.  To top it all off,  I had to top it off...with ice cream that is.  Yes!  There's nothing more fantastic than German Apple Cake and one scoop of butter pecan ice cream.  Sigh!  That's it!  I'm done!  There's no debating it.  I keep eating like this, and I'm gonna be FAT!!!

Earlier today, since I didn't want the bananas to go to waste, I made Lucinda's Banana Daiquiri.  That was very sweet and very yummy.  I didn't add as much rum as the recipe called for, but it was still good.  It's a nice summery kinda feel good drink.  Perfect for the Arizona weather or for those times when you can sit on your front porch, hanging out with your friends and family.

If you want to walk down your own memory lane, click the link below for this recipe.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/german-apple-cake-mad-hungry

Until we eat again!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment