Mad Hungry

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Breaded Pork Chops with Thyme and Potato and Leek Gratin

It's been a long time since I had pork chops and was so excited by the idea of preparing it.  Too bad it was a bust.  First let me say, this recipe did NOT come from Lucinda or "Mad Hungry."  That could have been my first clue, right?  Well, Lucinda didn't have a recipe with pork chops and I wanted to make them.  So, I pulled this recipe from the Martha Stewart show.

To give pork chops or any other poultry tons of flavor, the brine technique was instituted.  This technique called for six cups of water, one cup of sugar, ten whole peppercorns, orange zest, and one cup of salt.  Yes!  That's where the trouble began.  I was fine with all the ingredients until it came to the ONE CUP OF SALT!!!!!  What the hell.....?  I was a bit nervous about all that salt, so I added more water hoping that would help.  Boy was I wrong.  Cautiously, I proceed by adding the pork chops to the brine mixture to let it marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.

While the pork chops were marinating, I got started on the potato and leek gratin.  I wouldn't know a leek if it bit me in the butt, so while Nana was out, she picked some up for me.  It pretty much looks like a scallion, just bigger.  It's in the onion family, but doesn't give off the same strong flavor as onions do.  Interesting!  Another interesting point, only the white part of the leek is used.  There must be something I could make with the rest of the leek.  I'll have to research that!  From what Nana says, the price for a leek bunch is pretty darn expensive to the point that she didn't even want to tell me how much it cost.  Nevertheless, I melted butter over medium heat, then threw in the leeks and cooked for about five minutes. Then I added the cream, milk and nutmeg.  It smelled so yummy!  I couldn't wait to taste.  Prior to starting this mixture, I cleaned, cut, soaked, and laid the potatoes out in a shallow baking dish to await the yumminess.  After the mix came to a boil, I stirred it briskly, added it to my potatoes, then sprinkled gruyere cheese all over it.  That too (meaning the cheese) was pretty expensive too!  Thank goodness for Nana's that enjoy providing for her family and going grocery shopping.  I placed the potatoes in the oven until they were brown, bubbling and tender.   I could not wait to taste what smelled so delicious in the oven.

Now that the potatoes are done, I start on my pork chops.  Still not liking the whole one-cup-of-salt thing, I proceed with the directions anyway.  With my oven preheated to 350 degrees, I get my oil filled frying pan hot.  I start by removing and patting down the pork chops to get rid of the excess brine mixture.  The recipe calls for more salt and pepper, but of course, I completely skipped that step.  Instead, I went about the business of carefully dredging each pork chop in flour, eggs, and then finally in panko mix to coat, before I lay them down in my hot frying pan.  My excitement is returning and again, I can't wait to cut into one.  In about five minutes, once all three pieces are golden brown on the outside, I place them in the oven for another seven minutes to ensure that the inside is done.  Oh boy!  We're just about ready to plate.  Countdown!  Three.  Two.  Cut!  UGH!!!!!!!!!

All I taste is salt.  How disappointed!  My Nana tries to put up a good front, but watching her entire body tense from the overwhelming taste of salt pissed me off.  After two bites I finally told her to "step away from the plate."  I couldn't watch her gracefully try not to hurt my feelings by trying to consume a meal which even I, whom loves salt, could not bear to swallow.  Good thing she made a lamb chop for Malik.  She was able to eat some of that, but after sucking down salt for dinner, everything you put in your mouth thereafter was salty.  She could barely get that down.   Good thing we had the potato gratin.  With every bite of the pork chop, I had to bite into the gratin to chase the salt.  Not a happy camper right now.

Let it be known, I certainly gave my review of that recipe on Ms. Martha Stewart's website.  Stating exactly this:
One cup of salt is WAY TOO MUCH! I could barely eat the pork chop and my grandmother had to discard hers. What is the chef thinking when they decided to add one cup of salt? This recipe would have been delicious without all that salt.

Honestly, had the recipe called for a quarter, or even a half a cup of salt, the outcome would have been entirely different.  I'd be on cloud nine right now, having just enjoyed a lighter, crispier, crunchier pork chop, as opposed to feeling like I just gargled with salt water.



For your own take on this recipe, hopefully minus all that salt, click (or copy and paste) this link below.   
Let me know how pork chops are really supposed to taste.
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/breaded-pork-chops-with-thyme

































No comments:

Post a Comment