Mad Hungry

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baked Chicken and Mustard Glaze

Today I attempted to not only make the Baked Chicken with Mustard Glaze, but I also got a little ambitious and made the Hash Browns, the Three Mustard Glaze and the salad vinaigrette.  Oh, lest not forget...the Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Cookies as well.

Let me just say, it's absolutely okay to not have all the ingredients.  I substituted the three mustards for just one.  I went to Wal-mart to find the whole grain and maple mustards, but no such luck.  Plus, with three jars of mustard in my refrigerator (that I just recently cleaned since starting my cooking quest), I figured why let them go to waste...so I just used the one I had, which happened to be Dijon.  With that aside, I was ready to rock and roll.

While I was at Wal-mart, I marinated the chicken in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs for an hour as suggested.  It was the most savory mixture marinate that I've ever seen...and tasty too!  If it tasted good plain, I just knew it would be delicious on the chicken.  After about an hour in the fridge, I placed the chicken in the olive oil covered pan, wrapped it up and stuck it in the oven.  I figured while I was in the chicken mood, I'd start the glaze just to have on hand.  No lie when I say, I could have eaten the mustard glaze right out of the bowl.  It's to die for!

While the chicken was getting its bake on, the glaze had been whisked into perfection, and I had all the ingredients needed for the mustard vinaigrette, I got busy.  Oh my, once I mixed it all together, I was surprised at the creamy texture and flavor that just lingered in the air.  This was the first time in years I was excited about a salad.  Oh, I couldn't wait to get my munch on.

With the salad dressing chilled in the fridge, I proceed to get the potatoes boiling.  That was a no brainer.  At the same time, I got my large sauce pan out and poured the ingredients together for the Peanut Butter Rice Krispies.  I didn't know sugar could do that!  By the time I poured in the rice krispies, I was licking the wooden spoon.  I poured the mixture into my 9x12 parchment covered pan, distributed throughout and waited for it to cool.  Heaven help you if you are a peanut butter lover.  These delectables can't stay in my house.  Once this blog is complete, I will pack up several zip lock bags full of these pb treats for my son to take to school.  Unless I don't want my husband to be able to tell the difference between me and Santa this Christmas, THEY HAVE TO GO!

Okay, so let's recap.  The glaze is done, the vinaigrette is chilling, the rice krispies are cooling, and my potatoes are ready to be shredded.  That dish was simple and oh so yummy.  I cut my onions, laid in my potatoes and puff, deliciousness has arrived!  I was even able to flip my frying pan over just like Calder did.  Wish I had a camera ready!  (ummmmmmm, now that's a thought)  However, when it was all done, it broke apart when I was trying to get it from the pan to the plate.;-(  Did you think that would stop me from consuming it?  Hell to the NO!  It took everything I had to keep my fork to myself.

In between flips, I checked on the chicken.  More than 25 minutes passed and it didn't look anything like what I saw on tv this morning.  No fear, I flipped it over and continued cooking.  After about another 10 or so minutes, still not as cooked as I preferred, I spread the glaze over the chicken then popped it down in the broiler for 5 minutes.  Since I love my chicken really done, I turned it over, coated that side with glaze too and gave it a few more minutes.  Needless to say, when it was all done, it was a golden brown crispiness with honey dripping off the sides.  Have m-e-r-c-y!

This combination of chicken, potatoes and salad was just the comfort food that the doctor ordered.  All it was missing was a drink.  Any ideas for something light and refreshing...with or without alcohol?

4 comments:

  1. Try the enchiladas. I've already made them twice since seeing Lucinda make them on television. The sauce is wonderful, I'd suggest making a little extra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mimi,

    Thanks for your comment. I've printed out the enchiladas recipe today. It looks tasty. Can't wait to make. I think I'll make this one a family project so everyone can get involved. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rochelle,

    I don't know if the market that I go to carries very small tomatillos, but I didn't yield enough sauce with 14 of them. Next time I'm going to get 5 or so more. Just a heads up if the tomatillos at your store are small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mimi,

    I fell in love with a "roma" tomato introduced to me by Lucinda and it was just enough. It's not a bad idea to buy more than you think you need. Eventually you will use it for something. I've seen the tomatillos at my local Wal-mart and they never look appealing to me...I normally just skip right pass them.

    ReplyDelete